Saturday 25 February 2017

Activity 5-Week 29



Legal and ethical contexts in my digital practice


"Education is changing. Digital technologies are everywhere and they are impacting what, where, how and why students learn, and who they learn from. Many schools are using digital technologies like the internet, laptops and tablets to quickly, easily and cost-effectively connect students with the huge range of digital services and resources. However, the many benefits of learning with digital technologies are accompanied by some challenges and potential risks for students and schools. These ‘digital challenges’ are real and present a dilemma to schools seeking to use digital technology to enhance student learning". NZ Education Council’s Code of Ethics.(2015).

An Ethical dilemma that I would like to identify is the use of social networks: Facebook, Twitter, Snap Chat to name a few. When I was at school in the 90s, the internet had arrived as dial up and obviously social networks weren't even heard of, you caught up with old friends with a phone call or as you passed them on the street, we still took photos using camera film, and who knew the big cell phone sitting on the bench as "a fad" would soon be used as a mini computer. 
Technology is forever developing and the amount of people using social media is unbelievable. 
"Social media has greatly impacted the educational community – including teachers, administrators, students and their families.  A new generation is growing up with social networks as an integral part of life.  Personal information that was once considered private is increasingly being shared online.  The public sharing of information obscures the normal boundaries between teacher and student and teacher and colleagues.  Young teachers are especially vulnerable to the consequences of putting out personal information and pictures that may implicate them morally and professionally.  In the same way that email and texting communications between educators and students may result in the crossing of the bounds of appropriate relationships, educators must also understand the dangers of social network sites in contributing to this as well". Connecticut’s Teacher Education and Mentoring Program. (2012).

Being "friends" on social media is an ethical dilemma teachers may face. I constantly get asked by the younger teenage students if I am on Facebook, and most have searched for me and sent me friend requests.  Now I am not embarrassed by anything on my page, but I have issues with students knowing me on a more personal level, so I just tell them that I don't accept friend requests until later, the later being when they have graduated at Year 13. I also do not initiate friend requests from past students. 

Now if I was to answer every friend request or send them myself to every student I teach, the possible issues that this might raise could be that student-teacher boundaries may get blurred, the Code of Ethics must always be taken into consideration, as with our level of professionalism.  As teachers, to keep ourselves safe, we must always be aware and informed of the implications of social media as outlined in Professionalism and the Use of Social Media.
The students are my priority and I have the role of taking responsibility for my actions and being professional at all times. I want to have a student-teacher relationship that is respectful and does not step over "boundaries".
To prevent this, I set my Facebook account so that only friends can see posts and photos so that my life is private and separate from my school life. 

REFERENCES: 


Connecticut’s Teacher Education and Mentoring Program. (2012). Ethical and Professional Dilemmas for Educators: Facilitator’s Guide. Retrieved from http://www.ctteam.org/df/resources/Module5_Manual.pdf

Education Council. (n.d). The Education Council Code of Ethics for Certificated Teachers. Retrieved from http://www.education.govt.nz/assets/Documents/School/Managing-and-supporting-students/DigitalTechnologySafeAndResponsibleUseInSchs.pdf

Hall, A. (2001). What ought I to do, all things considered? An approach to the exploration of ethical problems by teachers. Paper presented at the IIPE Conference, Brisbane. Retrieved from http://www.educationalleaders.govt.nz/Culture/Developing-leaders/What-Ought-I-to-Do-All-Things-Considered-An-Approach-to-the-Exploration-of-Ethical-Problems-by-Teachers

Professionalism and the use of social media. (n.d.). Retrieved February 26, 2017, from http://www.education.auckland.ac.nz/en/for/current-students/facilities-and-resources/social-media-guidelines.html

Images: https://storyful.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Facebook-create.png

http://www.launchandhustle.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/social-media-marketing-image.png

No comments:

Post a Comment